Surekha Yadav is an Indian train driver who is known for being Asia’s first female loco pilot. In 2023, she became the first woman to operate the Vande Bharat Express, a semi-high-speed train.
Surekha Yadav Bio
|Date of Birth||2 September 1965|
|Age (as of 2022)||57 Years|
|School||St. Paul’s Convent School, Satara, Maharashtra|
|College/University||Government Polytechnic, Karad, Satara, Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualification||Diploma in Mechanical Engineering|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 160 cm|
in meters– 1.60 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 3”
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||1998: Jijau Puruskar|
2001: Women Achievers Award by the Lions Clubs India
2001: Conferred by the National Commission for Women in New Delhi
2002: The Lokmat Sakhi Awards
2004: Sahyadri Hirkani Award
2005: Prerna Purushkar
2011: General Manager Award for first lady loco pilot in Indian Railways
2011: Women Achievers award by Central Railways
2013: RWCC Best Women Award
2018: First Ladies Award for being the first lady loco pilot in Indian Railways
|Husband/Spouse||Shankar Yadav (Police Inspector)|
• Ajinkya Yadav (engineer)
• Ajitesh (engineer)
|Parents||Father– Ramchandra Bhosale (deceased) (farmer)|
|Siblings||Surekha has four siblings, and she is the eldest among them.|
- According to Surekha Yadav, initially, she never thought of pursuing a career as a Loco pilot. She wanted to pursue further education in mathematics, earn a B.Ed degree, and become a teacher; however, after she landed a job at Indian Railways, she decided to pursue her career in the railways.
- In an interview, Surekha said that since her childhood days, she was inspired by the courage and bravery of Lakshmibai, the Rani of Jhansi.
- On International Women’s Day in 2011, she was named Asia’s first woman train driver to run the Deccan Queen from Pune to CST; the train route from Pune to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) is known as one of the most difficult train routes.
- During an interview, Surekha shared one of the moments when she felt proud to be a woman.
- In 1991, Surekha was featured in the television show Hum Bhi Kisise Kum Nahi.
- According to Surekha, her most memorable train journey as a Loco pilot was in 2018, when she drove a passenger train from Mumbai to Pune.
Also read – Tanuja Kanwar Bio