Asha Shobana is an Indian cricketer. She is an all-rounder and played for the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the inaugural season of the Women’s Premier League.
Asha Shobana Bio
|Date of Birth||16 March 1991 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||32 Years|
|Birthplace||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India|
|Hometown||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India|
|School||• Cotton Hill Girls Higher Secondary School, Vazhuthacaud, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
• St.Mary’s Higher Secondary School, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
|College/University||Government College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)|
Asha Shobana Physical Stats
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 166 cm|
in meters– 1.6 m
in feet & inches– 5′ 5″
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms-55 kg|
in pounds-121 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||33-28-35|
|Domestic/State Team||• Thiruvananthapuram district women’s cricket team|
• Kerala women’s cricket team
• India B
• South Zone
• South Central Railway women’s team
• Railways team
• Indian Board President’s Women XI team
• India A
• Chilaw Marians Cricket Club Women’s team
• Puducherry women’s cricket team
• Royal Challengers Bangalore
|Coach/Mentor||• Shabina Jacob|
• Aaron George Thomas
• Nooshin Al Khadeer
• Ben Sawyer
|Batting Style||Right hand Bat|
|Bowling Style||Legbreak Googly|
|Parents||Father– B. Joy (Driver)|
Mother– S. Sobhana
|Siblings||Brother– Anoop Joy (Senior Administrative Coordinator)|
- Male Cricketer (Batter): Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, and MS Dhoni
- Male Cricketer (Bowler): Anil Kumble, Shane Warne, and Stuart MacGill
- Female Cricketer (Batter): Mithali Raj
- Female Cricketer (Bowler): Neetu David, and Harmanpreet Kaur
- Football Club: Arsenal F.C.
- Footballer: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Singers: Adam Levine and Eminem
- Hobbies: Drawing and Singing
Also read – Lauren Bell Bio 2023
- Asha Shobana is an Indian cricketer. She is an all-rounder and played for the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the inaugural season of the Women’s Premier League.
- From an early age, she used to play gully cricket with her brother and her cousins and was an ardent cricket fan.
- In an interview, she revealed that Sachin Tendulkar‘s innings against Australia in the 1998 Coca-Cola Cup influenced her a lot.
- Initially, Asha Shobana was not aware of the women’s cricket team. She was a school student when she first saw a women’s cricket match on the Doordarshan channel; coincidentally her idol Neetu David was in the starting eleven for India Women.
- Later, she came across a newspaper advertisement for the women’s district teams’ trials. She was confused about how her parents’ reaction and requested help from her Physical Training teacher to reach the training ground.
- She was 12-and-a-half years old at that time and did well in the trials; she was selected for the Thiruvananthapuram district team and soon became a key player for the team.
- While trying out for the Thiruvananthapuram district team, Asha Shobana was able to impress the former Kerala women’s cricket team captain, Shabina Jacob, who later became her mentor. Shabina Jacob wanted her in the state team and labelled her as the “most promising youngster.”
- In 2003, Asha Shobana was part of the Kerala women’s team that travelled to Chennai, Tamil Nadu for the Senior Games, however, she was not included in the playing eleven.
- She scored two fifties and took 10 wickets from five matches for the Kerala women’s team between 2011 and 2012.
- In 2011, she became the leading wicket-taker with 12 wickets from four matches in the inter-zone women’s cricket tournament held at Ahmedabad.
- In January 2012, she was included in the 20-player probables list for the India Women’s tour of the West Indies.
- Asha was a second-year undergraduate student when she got a job at the Indian railways. She worked for the South Central Railway in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- On 10 March 2012, she was part of the Indian Board President’s Women XI team that lost to the Australian women’s national team at the Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad. She bowled three overs and took the wicket of Meg Lanning.
- She was part of the Smriti Mandhana-led India A team that won the 2017-2018 Senior Women’s Challenger Trophy; she took three wickets from ten overs in the final against India Green.
- In 2018, Asha Shobana was selected for India A squad for the Australian women’s tour of India. She scored 24 runs in two matches and took the catch of Alyssa Healy.