Hekani Jakhalu is an Indian lawyer, social activist, and politician, who contested the 2023 Nagaland Assembly polls. She made headlines in 2023 after she, along with Salhoutuonuo Kruse, became the first woman to be elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) in Nagaland.
Hekani Jakhalu Bio
|Date of Birth||Year, 1975|
|Age (as of 2023)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Toluvi, Dimapur, Nagaland|
|School||• Holy Cross Higher Secondary School, Dimapur|
• Bishop Cotton Girls’ School, Bengaluru, Karnataka
|College/University||• Lady Shri Ram College For Women, New Delhi|
• American University
• Harvard University, USA
• Delhi University
• University of San Francisco
|Educational Qualification(s)||• BA in Political Science from Lady Shri Ram College For Women|
• BA in International Studies from the American University (2002)
• A degree in executive education from Harvard University (2008)
• LLB from Delhi University
• A degree in executive education from the American University
• LLM from the University of San Francisco
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 163 cm|
in meters– 1.63 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 4”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
Hekani Jakhalu was born into a middle-class family belonging to the Scheduled Tribe (ST) in Nagaland.
Her father, Suhoi Inashe Jakhalu, was a retired lieutenant colonel of the Indian Army. He died in October 2017. Her brother, Akheto Jakhalu, is an Indian Air Force (IAF) pilot.
Her husband, Kevilezo Kense, is a businessman. She has a son named Vik and a daughter named Zavi.
Also read – Mayuri Kango Bio
• Cash Rs. 2,00,000
• Bank Deposits Rs. 22,55,761
• Motor Vehicles Rs. 10,65,540
• Jewellery Rs. 2,30,000 (a gold finger ring and a Cartier Wrist-watch)
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 37,50,000
• Commercial Buildings: Rs. 3,50,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2023. It excludes the assets owned by her husband.
|Net Worth (approx.)||In 2023, her net worth was around Rs. 4,25,01,300. It does not include the net worth of her husband.|
- While studying in the United States of America (USA), Hekani did her internship with the United Nations (UN)-established Committee on the Status of Women.
- In San Francisco, she worked with Amnesty Internation from 2002 to 2003.
- Hekani worked as a lawyer in New Delhi, where she represented her clients in the Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court.
- While practising law in Delhi, she became a partner in a law firm, which provided expertise in civil and corporate law to its clients. She left the partnership in 2005.
- Thereafter, the NGO signed several deals with JW Marriott Hotel and Pullman Hotels and Resorts to provide ample employment opportunities to the youth in the northeast.
- Hekani Jakhalu joined the National Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) after moving back to Nagaland.
- From September 2008 to September 2010, she served with an NGO named Young Indians as its chairperson.